We’ve talked about SPF (All About SPF: Which SPF Rating should you use?
), now let’s get to the nitty-gritty of hair repair
. Brittle, frizzy, dry, and dull — summer damaged hair
is caused by all the chlorine, salt, wind, sun, and other pollutants that our hair is exposed to while we’re out having the time of our lives.
Proper hair repair isn’t just about overdosing on conditioners.
It’s a habit we have to adapt to get our hair back in gorgeous (or probably even better) shape!
Here are 5 habits of hair repair, featuring some of the winners of this year’s MEGA BEAUTY AWARDS
– Dry hair is sun burn’s best friend and is the seed to a whole lot of hair dilemmas. The most essential step in hair repair is to bring back the moisture. Apart from your regular trusted conditioners, use hair masks on a weekly basis for deep and intensive repair. L’Oreal Paris EVER Strong Deep Replenishing Masque
(Php 549) brings back the glory of one’s hair capacity to out-stand overheat, containing patented Bio-Ceramide Complex to strengthen hair fiber. Ever Strong is also 100% sulfate-free (harsh surfactant salts that strip off hair lipids
), apt for sensitive hair.
(2) USE THE IDEAL DAILY SHAMPOO
– For colored hair
: Chlorine and sun exposure have already dulled out your hair color (more or less), don’t make the mistake of washing your hair with the wrong shampoo! Bring back the vibrance while hydrating with L’Oreal Paris Ever Pure Sulfate-Free Color Care System Moisture Shampoo
* (Php 449).
For uncolored hair:
We swear upon Dove Damage Therapy Hair Fall Rescue
* (Php 200) to soften, moisturize, and prevent hair fall caused by brittleness. With the same nourishing benefits as its trusted skin care counterpart, it’s a product perfect for daily use.
– When hair is stripped of moisture and natural oils, it damages the outer layer (cuticle) creating a voluminous mane of the coarse kind. Replenish with L’Oreal Professionnel Mythic Oil
(Php 995) by rubbing a Piso
coin-sized amount of the oil on the palm of your hands then run them through your hair. This product may be used for pre-styling or as a finishing touch to tame the sun-damaged frizz.
(4) TARGET HEAVILY-DAMAGED AREAS
– Pay closer attention to the ends of your hair. Roots are younger, therefore less dry as compared to the tips. If conditioners and serums weigh down your hair or make it fall flat, try applying only from the mid-area down to the tips. MEGA Magazine called Kerastase Initialiste Advanced Scalp and Hair Concentrate
the “hair and scalp super serum” on its Big Beauty Issue (May 2013), sharing that this skin-care inspired product makes hair lustrous and less prone to breakage.
– Stop forcing your comb to work through the tangles of your hair. Apart from it being painful (obviously), it also damages and tears healthy hair, and lessens the healthy volume of your tresses. Hair abused to the harsh summer elements make combing quite a challenge. Use a wide-toothed comb and de-tangle from the ends and work your way up to the roots. The new Creamsilk Perfection De-Tangling Spray
(Php 299) works like a charm defrizzing and detangling hair easily on both wet and dry scenarios with the additional benefits of UV protection and shine.
Additional Tips and Tricks:
– Cut those split-ends.
– When showering, rinse off with cold water to seal the hair cuticle. Hair repair and moisturizing treatments go down the drain and your locks lose inner moisture when rinsing with warm water.
Find out which products got MEGA Magazine’s seal of approval on the prestigious MEGA BEAUTY AWARDS 2013. See it on the MEGA Magazine Big Beauty Issue this MAY 2013 with Kristine Hermosa on the cover. Grab your copy now!
Stay updated on the latest hair care tips and tricks by following @megastyleph on Twitter!